Saturday, July 17, 2010

Boardmaker Plus

I was very excited to try out the new boardmaker plus. I have used the old boardmaker before but just to make pictures for a visual schedule. It has been many years since I made a communication board. I was surprised how many of the steps came back to me fairly fast. I was anxious to try it out to make some boards. I think the most difficult part was getting the registration to work! Once that was done it really was pretty straight forward as long as I followed the tutorial. It is pretty cool how I could connect the boards together. It really was pretty straight forward. Another difficult part was planning what to do for our communication board and our story book. When looking at our plan for the communication board we looked at a lot of the same things that we learned with proloquo2go. We decided to look at the whole communication for the student not just for a particular subject. I have worked on it some today and it seems to be going well. We decided to go with language arts and do a poetry unit. This is what we concentrated on the book. For our dynamic boards we started with the basic board and had it very basic with an I want, greetings, subjects and friends. we thought the first board should be one that gives lots of options for the student to communicate in many ways. I am going to continue with the boards and see where it takes us.

While making the boards I decided on 7 boards. All boards were linked together and would come back to the beginning. I decided that 7 boards was plenty so since the book was a language arts activity I linked the LA page to a new one and the math page as an extra. The social studies and science was not linked to anything for now. I didn't think the student would be able to handle too many layers on this communication board. Getting everything connected together was also another challenge that we had to overcome. Thankfully the tutorial was pretty straight forward and was a lot of help.

No comments:

Post a Comment